For years, I avoided any type of mayonnaise based salad like the plague. Mayonnaise still grosses me out, but when added in small amounts to salad dishes with a whole lot of other flavor, I can get used to it. For example, Will showed me how to make a tasty tuna salad, to which I like to add a spicy kick with lots of sriracha. This vegan egg salad is another one of his tasty concoctions. I had mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was interested in making a tofu “egg” salad, but since I had never made a regular egg salad, I had no idea where to start. I sit down at my computer to work and sure enough, he comes out of the kitchen with this delicious salad! Since then, we’ve made it again a couple of times, we just liked it so much.
This simple vegan tofu “egg” salad comes together in a matter of minutes and could almost be mistaken for the real thing. You start by pressing the tofu to get rid of some of the excess moisture and then crumbling into small pieces. Next, we mix that tofu up with some vegan mayo, mustard, relish, parsley, and turmeric for color. To serve, I toasted up two slices of hearty whole grain bread and topped the egg salad with some sliced tomatoes, red pepper, and lettuce leaves. Served up with a fresh apple and a handful of almonds and this is a tasty, simple lunch.
- 8 ounce package firm tofu
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons relish
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Drain and press tofu for 5-7 minutes to remove some of the excess water.
- Chop tofu into small ¼" pieces. Transfer to a mixing bowl and crumble using a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine.