One neighborhood restaurant that has already become a favorite of mine is the Chicago Diner. It’s completely meat free but you would never have guessed by how delicious the food is there! They are actually best known for their reuben – which is, in fact, awesome. Another favorite of mine is something called the soul bowl which has quinoa, greens, black beans, blackened tofu, and mashed sweet potatoes. I was craving it the other day, so we decided to whip up a similar at home. It turned out so well, I wanted to share it with you! Everything in this bowl is packed with great nutrients for you. Quickly search any of these foods online and you’re sure to see at least one person call them a “superfood”!
Superfood Bowl with Spicy Kale and Tempeh (vegan, gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 package tempeh, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 bunch kale leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup black quinoa
- 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium baked sweet potato, mashed
- Heat canola oil in large saucepan. Add tempeh and cook until it begins to brown on the outside. Pour in the vinegar, soy sauce, and sriracha and cook one minute. Add the kale and cook 5-7 minutes or until kale begins to wilt.
- Add dry spices to kale/tempeh mixture. Stir and cook another 1-2 minutes or until kale is soft.
- In a small saucepan, combine quinoa, water, and broth. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook on medium heat until quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid, about 15 minutes.
- Combine kale/tempeh mixture, sweet potato, and quinoa in a bowl and serve.