Have you tried chia seeds yet? I know they may seem a little like a weird “hippie” food, but they are actually really good and chock full of good-for-you nutrients like heart healthy Omega 3s. I love mixing up my normal breakfast rotation with chia cereal every once in a while. Since chia seeds need a little time to soak to get their characteristic pudding/gelatin texture, they are perfect for make-ahead breakfasts. I wanted to liven up the mango flavor a bit more in these so I actually pureed some mango and added that to the milk I normally use to soak the seeds.This method gave the chia seeds a lot more flavor rather than just adding flavor afterwards with the topping. I plan on doing this with a few other fruits over the next couple of weeks – it was so good!
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup chopped mango (fresh or frozen)
- ⅓ cup canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- Optional: ½ teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- Puree mango and milks together in a blender. Pour into serving container and stir in chia seeds. Let sit 3 hours up to overnight in the refrigerator to set. Serve topped with more fresh fruit and coconut.
If you aren't a big fan of coconut or you want to cut back on calories, feel free to substitute replace all the coconut milk with almond milk.
Toppings: plain or vanilla yogurt, coconut yogurt, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, chopped nuts, addition chopped or pureed mango