Mango Chia Breakfast Cereal

Mango Chia Breakfast Pudding | Dietitian Debbie DishesHave you tried chia seeds yet? I know they may seem a little like a weird “hippie” food, but they are actually really good and chock full of good-for-you nutrients like heart healthy Omega 3s. I love mixing up my normal breakfast rotation with chia cereal every once in a while. Since chia seeds need a little time to soak to get their characteristic pudding/gelatin texture, they are perfect for make-ahead breakfasts. I wanted to liven up the mango flavor a bit more in these so I actually pureed some mango and added that to the milk I normally use to soak the seeds.This method gave the chia seeds a lot more flavor rather than just adding flavor afterwards with the topping. I plan on doing this with a few other fruits over the next couple of weeks – it was so good!Mango Chia Breakfast Pudding

5.0 from 4 reviews
Mango Chia Breakfast Cereal

Prep time
Total time

Mix up this mango chia breakfast cereal in a mason jar so you can take it on the go! Perfect for busy weekday mornings.
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Vegan
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • ½ cup chopped mango (fresh or frozen)
  • ⅓ cup canned coconut milk
  • 3 tablespoons almond milk
  • Optional: ½ teaspoon honey or maple syrup
Instructions
  1. Puree mango and milks together in a blender. Pour into serving container and stir in chia seeds. Let sit 3 hours up to overnight in the refrigerator to set. Serve topped with more fresh fruit and coconut.
Notes
This recipe isn't super sweet (which I prefer), but you may want to add ½ teaspoon of honey, sugar, or maple syrup to the mixture before chilling.

If you aren't a big fan of coconut or you want to cut back on calories, feel free to substitute replace all the coconut milk with almond milk.

Toppings: plain or vanilla yogurt, coconut yogurt, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, chopped nuts, addition chopped or pureed mango
Nutrition Information
Serving size: ~3/4 Cup Calories: 362 kcals Fat: 25 g Saturated fat: 15 g Carbohydrates: 28 g Sugar: 13.5 g Fiber: 11 g Protein: 8 g Cholesterol: 5 mg

Mango Chia Breakfast Pudding

31 thoughts on “Mango Chia Breakfast Cereal

1. Pingback: 15 Nutritious Breakfasts for Busy People ‹ Hello Healthy

2. Pingback: Healthy Breakfast Ideas: 15 Nutritious Breakfasts for Busy People - Plash

3. Rimona

Mango Chia Seeds, is interesting…I love Chia Seeds. What’s the nutrition on this
    calories, fat, fibers, etc…???

1. DietitianDebbie Post author

Hey Rimona,
      This was an older recipe on my blog, so I hadn’t had the chance to add the nutrition information, but you’ll find it there now. Thanks so much for stopping by!

4. Alice

Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 345; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 15g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 4mg; Sodium: 30mg; Total Carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary Fiber: 12g; Sugars: 14g; Protein: 10g

1. DietitianDebbie Post author

Hi Karla,
            Great question! Since I consider this mango chia breakfast cereal a complete breakfast, I would say that the nutrient content is just about right for a meal. If you are aiming for an intake of at least 1500 kcals a day, a breakfast with around 400-500 calories would be just right. The sugar content is also not high for a fruit based breakfast. In fact, it is very similar to that of a light fruit yogurt but you get so many more great nutrients with this recipe and not the extra long list of ingredients. Also, the 28 grams of carbohydrates can be adjusted by subtracting out the 11 grams of fiber. So this breakfast would only provide about 1 carbohydrate serving for those counting carbs for diabetes. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have additional questions.

5. Clare Chalmers

Yum! I added a handful of spinach when blending for extra nutrients. It was BRIGHT green but still, just as tasty!

6. Pingback: Stone Soup | archmom.com

7. Pingback: Healthy Meal Plan for May 25, 2015 - Health & Fitness Coach | Skinny Mommy Fitness

8. Pingback: Nutritious Breakfasts for Busy People & Entrepreneurs Like You | Growing Your Business with Roberta

9. Pingback: 10 Quick Breakfasts for Busy Mornings | Foodnetwork Blog

10. Ken Haberman

Don’t forget. There’s always light coconut milk for those of us who can’t digest a lot of fat! You might be able to ramp up the protein by using some Greek yogurt in there somewhere.

1. Dietitian Debbie Post author

Thanks for the light coconut milk suggestion, Ken. I also agree, you could easily add Greek yogurt to this! In fact, I would make a bowl of half chia pudding and half Green yogurt, stir together, and top with fruit OR layer all those to make a pretty parfait. YUM!

11. Joelle

This looks amazing! Sadly I can’t drink almond milk due to an allergy. Is there an alternative you could suggest? Thank you!

12. Trudy

Thank you for this very simple but amazing receipy. I have just found out about Chai seeds and trying to find ways to put them in my diet. Also am on the Daniel Fast which is more restricted than a vegan diet, so am very happy to find this receipy. I didn’t have any mango but had a can of pineapple in natural juice and used this instead with just almond milk. Topped it with the rest of the pineapple, coconut flakes and almond slices YUMMY and so health. Thank you again 🙂

13. Pingback: This Mom is Checking Out Chia Seeds | This Mom's Girl Time