Happy hour in the summer time is the best. Soaking up the sunshine while grabbing a cocktail with friends on the patio is a great way to unwind. However, a lot of cocktails are loaded with sugar and calories, which could lead to weight gain if you go out a couple times a week. Avoid wreaking havoc on your waistline at happy hour with these 5 great tips for lightening up your summer cocktails!
- Cut the fruit juice in half and replace it with club soda. You’d be surprised how a little juice can go a long way! The same goes for simple syrup.
- Replace the fruit juice entirely with fresh fruit. Think muddled berries for mojitos or frozen mango for margaritas.
- Skip the bottled margarita mix you buy from the store and make your own at home. Even better, replace the mix completely with pureed fruit.
- Use fresh ingredients with a lot of flavor and not a lot of calories like: mint, cilantro, basil, ginger root, citrus fruit, etc.
- Use diet soda instead of regular. If you are looking to be adventurous, give kombucha a try!
For inspiration, try out any one of these 10 delicious, skinny summer cocktails:
- Frozen Ginger Mango Margarita via Dietitian Debbie Dishes
- Sotol Swizzle via Honestly Yum
- Blueberry Mint Fizz via Waiting on Martha
- Mango Cilantro Mojitos via A House in the Hills
- Guava Sangria via Style Me Pretty
- Raspberry Sparkler via The Gardenista
- Kombucha Moscow Mules via Cookie + Kate
- Cucumber, Mint, Gin Coolers via Heather Cristo
- Riesling, Strawberry Slushy via With Style and Grace Blog
- Peach Wine Slushies via Dessert for Two