Lately, I seem to be on a huge feta kick. Do you ever get that way? Where you just keep eating the same food over and over again for a few weeks? Some of my other recent food kicks/”jags” have been apples and peanut butter, blueberry almond butter smoothies, and tempeh kale stir fry. In college, it was peanut butter and jelly – every day.
I think the reason feta has been such a staple in my kitchen of late is that it pairs so well with fresh tomatoes. Summer is the time to enjoy tomatoes! This salad combines some of the best flavors of summer: beets, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil. Everything gets chopped up and tossed together in a tasty homemade Italian dressing.
This salad only gets better with time so if you are trying to get a head start on meal prep, this is definitely a dish that can be made a day ahead. It is perfect for summer potlucks/cookouts!
- 4 small beets (roasted, canned are ok)
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4-5 chopped fresh basil leaves
- For the Dressing
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of Salt and Black Pepper
- Begin by chopping all of your vegetables and placing them into a small mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the salad dressing ingredients and stir well.
- Pour over the chopped vegetables and toss to coat.
- Serve chilled!