Say hello to my new favorite healthy breakfast this winter! This banana bread oatmeal is super simple to make, vegan (!), and insanely delicious. I need big comforting bowls of hot oats like this to get me going on cold winter mornings. Brrrr! Just like regular banana bread, this oatmeal tastes even better the more ripe your bananas. When you cook this up, the sliced bananas dissolve into the oats adding natural sweetness and yummy flavor which is complemented with vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon.
To make this oatmeal extra special, I stir fried a few extra slices of banana in coconut oil and a sprinkle of brown sugar until they were caramelized to add on top. Sprinkle a few chopped walnuts, a bit of brown sugar (if desired), and a drizzle of almond milk to serve.Print
Warm up on even the coldest morning with a bowl of this banana bread oatmeal that tastes just like a warm slice of fresh baked banana bread.
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 banana, sliced (reserve 1/4 slices for topping)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Dash of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
To serve: sliced banana, brown sugar, almond milk
- In a small saucepan, add the oats, sliced banana and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until most of the water has been absorbed and oats become creamy.
- Stir in vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, almond milk, salt, and golden raisins. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until almond milk has been incorporated.
- To make the caramelized banana slices for the top, melt 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a non-stick skillet and add the reserved banana slices to a pan. Sprinkle slices with brown sugar. Cook banana slices on each side until lightly browned. Serve on top of cooked oats.