These buffalo tempeh salads have quickly become a weekly dinner option for Will and I since summer started. Some days you just really can’t bring yourself to turn on the oven so these tempeh salads are the perfection solution. Until recently, I didn’t know just how easy it is to make your own buffalo sauce at home. It’s literally just 2 ingredients so I debated whether I should even post this “recipe” since it is so simple! You also have to serve it with some ranch dressing since buffalo and ranch are a perfect match. I have yet to come up with a recipe for a vegan ranch that I like so I would just use your favorite store-bought vegan ranch. The rest of the salad add-ins are totally up to you! These days, we are usually adding whatever market vegetables we need to use up.
When I posted the photo of this salad on instagram, a lot of people mentioned that they had never used buffalo sauce on tempeh before and I was like “OMG – you have to try it!”. Tempeh is seriously like a sponge and just soaks up all that buffalo sauce. I think it would be a great way to introduce a newbie to tempeh since buffalo sauce is such a familiar ingredient and it pairs so well with the mild flavor of tempeh!Print
These filling buffalo tempeh salads are a perfect meal for hot summer nights when you don’t want to cook but still want to eat healthy.
For the Tempeh:
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 oz. tempeh
For the Salads:
- Store-bought vegan ranch dressing, salad greens, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, avocado, purple onion, radish
- Add the hot sauce and butter to a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until butter is melted. Stir well to combine. Set aside.
- Cut the tempeh into 1″ squares and then in half into a triangle shape. Carefully, half each piece again to create a 1/3″ triangle piece.
- In a non-stick skillet, add oil and sauté tempeh until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Turn off heat and pour on buffalo sauce. Toss to coat.
- Assemble salads. Divide tempeh evenly between 2 salads.
**Nutrition facts below are for the tempeh only.** Nutrient composition of the entire salad will differ based on which vegetables and dressing you use.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 423 kcals
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 422 mg
- Fat: 35 g
- Saturated Fat: 30 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.5 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg