For the longest time, you couldn’t convince me to go savory for breakfast. I was all about the pancakes, smoothies, donuts… These days, I find myself learning to appreciate a good savory breakfast entree like these cheddar zucchini waffles. I was craving waffles a couple of weeks ago and decided to try a savory version this time around and I loved how they turned out! I’m thinking these will be the first of many savory breakfast dishes to appear on the blog. 😉
My favorite way to serve these tasty cheddar zucchini waffles with some sautéed spinach, fried egg, sliced avocado, and a drizzle of hot sauce. I stored the extra waffles in the freezer in a ziploc bag and reheated them throughout the week in the toaster oven. They were just as good as they were the day I made them!Print
Switch up your waffle routine with these savory cheddar zucchini waffles! They are super simple to make and delicious when served up with a fried egg and avocado.
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (~1 cup shredded)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dairy or non-dairy unsweetened milk
- 4 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Shred zucchini with a box grater into a colander or onto a sheet of cheesecloth. Squeeze some of the liquid out of the zucchini and set aside.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to a large mixing bowl and stir well with a wire whisk.
- Add the egg, milk, oil, cheese, zucchini, and black pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixed.
- Heat up your waffle iron and spray with cooking oil. Add 1/3 cup of the batter to your waffle iron and cook according to manufacturers directions. There should be enough batter to make ~6 waffles.
- Serve with fried egg, sautéed greens, avocado, hot sauce, or whatever toppings you desire!