I’m back! Will and I spent a lovely 5 days in San Diego last week so I took a little break from the blog. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have already seen a few of my pics from the trip. I ate my fill of acai bowls and melted over the adorable seal pups on La Jolla beach. It wasn’t yet warm enough for lounging all day on the beach, but perfect for exploring the city on foot and by bike. A few of my favorite stops included: Tacos Perla (the salmon tacos rocked!), Filament (wanted to buy the whole store), Stone Brewery Bistro and Garden (gorgeous place for a delicious dinner), and The Mission Restaurant (still daydreaming about the papas con soy chorizo).
The chilly weather that welcomed us back to Chicago had me craving soup – tomato soup to be exact. This roasted red pepper and tomato soup couldn’t get any easier. It requires just a large pot, food processor, and 10 ingredients. The soup itself is also vegan too! I just made it non-vegan by sprinkling some cheddar cheese on top when serving.Print
Warm up on even the most chilly night with this super simple roasted red pepper and tomato soup that requires just 10 ingredients and is done in 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek (white only), thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (13 oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- To serve: cheese, toast, etc.
- In a large stock pot, add the olive oil. Stir in the leek and onion. Cook until softened and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Turn off the heat and transfer to a food processor.
- Add the tomatoes and red peppers to the food processor as well and puree until smooth.
- Transfer back to the same pot and add the oregano and sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste and serve!