Surprise someone special in your life with a loaf of this easy vegan chocolate swirl banana bread for Christmas this year!
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons warm water
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 5″ x 9″ loaf pan or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flax seed and water. Let sit 2-3 minutes to form a gel.
- Add the bananas to the same bowl as the flax and mash well with a fork.
- Add the melted coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and almond milk. Stir well.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt) and whisk to mix them together.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until mixed, it’s ok to have some lumps still.
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate chips and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and heat another 30 seconds or so until melted. Measure out 1 cup of the bread dough and stir into the melted chocolate.
- Pour 1/2 of the banana bread mixture into pan. Use spoon to add 1/2 of the chocolate dough. Create a swirl pattern with butter knife. Repeat with the rest of the dough, swirling again.
- Top with a few extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until tooth pick interested into center of loaf comes out clean. Allow to cook completely before slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/10th bread)
- Calories: 245 kcals
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 240 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg