For someone who writes a food blog, I am actually really terrible at keeping up with all the food holidays. Most of the time, I only know it is a certain food holiday when I see it trending on my instagram feed. This recipe for vegan tempeh nachos is a great example of how out of the loop I am with food holidays! The Super Bowl is long gone and most everyone is talking about Easter recipes at the moment and I’m over here with a delicious pan of vegan tempeh nachos. 😉
Honestly though, there isn’t a bad time to enjoy these vegan tempeh nachos in my opinion! This recipe was inspired by the vegan nachos we often order from Upton’s on the weekend when we don’t feel like going out. I have been wanting to try and recreate them at home for ages and I finally got around to it last weekend.
The “cheese” sauce for these nachos may be my favorite part. If you are like me and don’t have a high powered blender, I found that I can get a creamier nut based cheese sauce if I puree the cashews in the single serving smoothie cup. I’ll start with the cashews, broth, and some of the steamed vegetables and let it puree until smooth. I then transfer it to the food processor and add in the rest of the ingredients and let it puree until smooth and creamy. This sauce is actually kind of addicting. I tested it a couple times for this recipe and was happy to have the leftovers around. I wanted to add it to everything!Print
Rather than ordering take-out nachos, make these delicious vegan tempeh nachos at home. They are drizzled with a vegan “cheese” sauce you’ll want to put on everything!
For the “Cheese” Sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 large (~4 oz) carrot, peeled and cut into coins
- 1 russet potato (~9 oz), peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
For the Tempeh:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (8 oz.) package tempeh, crumbled
- 2/3 cup enchilada sauce
- Tortilla chips, salsa, chopped red onion, avocado, tomatoes, lime, fresh cilantro
To Make the “Cheese” Sauce:
- Bring a few cups of water to boil and turn off heat. Add cashews and allow to soak for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add a steamer basket to a saucepan filled with 1″ of water. Add the carrot and potato. Cover and steam until fork tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- In a high powered blender or single serving blender cup, add the cashews, carrot, and broth. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a food processor and add the rest of the ingredients (steamed potato, yeast, soy sauce, paprika, and apple cider vinegar). Puree until smooth and season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
To Make the Tempeh:
- Add oil and onion to a non-stick skillet and saute over medium-high heat until onion is tender. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer until most of the liquid from the enchilada sauce has cooked off.
- Arrange tortilla chips on a serving dish and top with tempeh, cheese sauce, and chopped vegetables and salsa.
When storing leftover vegan “cheese” sauce in the fridge, it will thicken up. To thin it out again when you are ready to eat it, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of broth as you reheat it on low heat in a saucepan.