I thought I would kick off the holiday baking season with this quick and easy vegan chocolate swirl banana bread! Do you give out baked goods as gifts? I’ve given out homemade chocolate bark as gifts to coworkers in the past, but this banana bread may be my go-to gift this year. Of course, you can also just make this for yourself too. 😉 I thoroughly enjoyed slices of this vegan chocolate swirl banana bread with my morning coffee. I whipped a loaf up on Thanksgiving morning because I wanted something a little more special to serve for breakfast, but didn’t want to do all the work of making something like pancakes. Ha!
Vegan Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread Tips
- You’ll need ground flax seed as a vegan egg replacer for this recipe. I haven’t had too much trouble finding ground flax at the store, usually you can find it in the bulk foods or baking sections. If you can only find whole flax seeds, you can grind them in the blender or a coffee grinder. You want to make sure they are ground because they need to be broken apart to absorb the water and form a gel.
- Really ripe bananas make for a sweeter banana bread, so wait until your bananas are basically all dark brown with little to no yellow skin anymore.
- I like to line my loaf pan with a sheet of parchment paper when baking. That way, I can just lift the bread out of the pan once cooled which makes it a lot easier to slice and serve.
- I love spreading some peanut butter on a warm slice of this banana bread for breakfast!
Can you freeze this Banana Bread?
Yes! I pre-slice it and freeze in ziplock bags. When I want to have a slice, I just defrost it for 30-60 seconds in the microwave.Print
Surprise someone special in your life with a loaf of this easy vegan chocolate swirl banana bread for Christmas this year!
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons warm water
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 5″ x 9″ loaf pan or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flax seed and water. Let sit 2-3 minutes to form a gel.
- Add the bananas to the same bowl as the flax and mash well with a fork.
- Add the melted coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and almond milk. Stir well.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt) and whisk to mix them together.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until mixed, it’s ok to have some lumps still.
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate chips and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and heat another 30 seconds or so until melted. Measure out 1 cup of the bread dough and stir into the melted chocolate.
- Pour 1/2 of the banana bread mixture into pan. Use spoon to add 1/2 of the chocolate dough. Create a swirl pattern with butter knife. Repeat with the rest of the dough, swirling again.
- Top with a few extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until tooth pick interested into center of loaf comes out clean. Allow to cook completely before slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/10th bread)
- Calories: 245 kcals
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 240 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg